We LOVE aprés-skiing, but we’re just as passionate about food and libations all year long. A few weeks ago we had the Boeger Winemaker’s Dinner, crafted by our Executive Chef Glenn Simpson. This sparked the idea of asking our staff to come up with their own top honor pairings we serve on a daily basis. So, as part of our regular staff gatherings (more fun than meetings), we included a pairing contest. And boy, did we have a blast!
So, how was the Blue Angel food pairing done?
We selected a few of our favorite wines and beers served and asked each one of our team what would it pair best with on our menu.
The drinks selected were as follows:
Boeger BarBeara: Boeger’s special Barbera blend is rich in dark fruity notes. The soft tannins of Tempranillo counterpoint the natural acidity of the Barbera, while the Petite Sirah lends tannins and structure worthy of the blend’s namesake.
Terra d’Oro Zinfandel: From Amador county, this savory Zinfandel displays vibrant aromas of rich, spicy clove and big, generous fruit with hints of vanilla, enticing the nose.
Chilensis Pinot Noir: A Chilean wine, it has notes of strawberry, raspberry, and cherry intermingling with a subtle hint of roses while the spicy characters recall flavors of rosemary and oregano. The medium-bodied palate presents plenty of personality and persistence with soft, elegant tannins.
21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA: Starts big and finishes clean. An aromatic golden IPA with three different hops, it delights the nose, quickly balanced by a solid malt backbone supporting its firm bitterness.
Deschutes Black Butte Porter: An extremely smooth and drinkable porter. Notes of rich chocolate and coffee, a luscious creaminess and a roasted finish complete this beer.
And the winners are…
1st Place/Top Honor – Alli Fyffe, Server: 21st Amendment IPA with Fish & Chips
2nd Place/Runner up – Margarito Hernandez, Cook: Terre d’Orro Zin with Beef Bourguingon
Honorable mention pairings –
- Sal Escobar, Cook: 21st Amendment IPA with Pepperoni Pizza
- Alejandra Delgadillo, Prep Cook: Boeger BarBeara with Rocket Prosciutto Pizza
- Monica Espino, Sous Chef: Boeger BarBeara with Due Amici spicy, creamy pasta
- Tiffany Brunello, Server: Chillensis Pinot with the Vegetable Napoleon on Polenta
- Danielle Foley, Server: Terre d’Oro Zin with Rocket Prosciutto Pizza
- Glenn Simpson, Exec. Chef: Boeger BarBeara with Lamb Tostadas
- Melissa Smith, Server: Terre d’Orro Zin with the three-meat Barnyard Burger and Gorgonzola Cheese